The Make Our Schools Safe Club is an in-school, on-campus club comprised of motivated and school safety-minded students. All club members have the same goal… to create a culture of school safety. These club members are the voice of the MOSS movement. Empowerment of today’s youth is the best chance we have to make necessary changes in the world. As Make Our Schools Safe founder Lori Alhadeff so passionately says “your voice is your power!”
Each club has its own elected officers to help organize and execute meetings and activities. Clubs meet on school grounds approximately once every 2 weeks. The Club provides an inclusive, welcoming forum for all students to participate and have a voice, in order to maintain a culture of school safety and vigilance in a secure school environment.
Team building activities in both school and community play a pivotal role in the development of a club as well. Each chapter is expected to meet with school officials regularly, in order to maintain transparency within the club and the community with regard to school safety measures throughout the school year.
A strong emphasis is also placed on community service projects to help those in need. Paying it forward is essential within the Make Our Schools Safe Club culture.
For more information and to get started, please contact Lexi Simon, MOSS Club Director, at the following email address: Lexi@makeourschoolssafe.org.
Lexi Simon, MOSS Club Director
Looking forward to hearing from you!
Invent2Prevent is an innovative, experiential learning program that challenges high school and college students to create and implement their own dynamic products, tools, or initiatives to address acts of targeted violence, hate or terrorism in their specific communities. Teams compete at the high school level for awards of $5,000 for first place; $3,000 for second place, $1,000 for third place.
Five students from the Pompano Beach High School Make Our Schools Safe Club traveled to Washington, D.C to compete in the nationwide Invent2Prevent competition! This group had the opportunity to present more about their school safety project to a panel of Department of Homeland Security executives, subject experts, and esteemed academics.
Their initiative, known as “Bonding Buddies”, aimed to eliminate social isolation and foster relationships amongst Pompano Beach Elementary School youth by pairing older students with younger ones as mentors.
After presenting to a panel of industry experts, Pompano Beach MOSS Club earned the title of 2nd in the nation!
Make Our School Safe Clubs
- Cambridge High School (Fulton, GA)
- Harrison High School (Harrison, NY)
- Hunter High School (New York City, NY)
- Interlochen Arts Academy (in process) (Interlochen, MI)
- JP Taravella High School (Coral Springs, FL)
- Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School (Parkland, FL)
- Miami Country Day School (Miami, FL)
- Monarch High School (Coconut Creek, FL)
- Morgantown High School (Morgantown, West Virginia)
- Newsome High School (Lithia, FL)
- NYC Lab School (New York City, NY)
- Nyack High School (Nyack, NY)
- Olympic Heights High School (Boca Raton, FL)
- Pascack Hills High School (Montvale/Woodcliff Lake, NJ)
- Pompano Beach High School (Pompano Beach, FL)
- Sherwood High School (Sandy Spring, MD)
- Spanish River High School (Boca Raton, FL)
- St. Andrews School (Boca Raton, FL)
- St. Thomas Aquinas High School (Ft. Lauderdale, FL)
- Staples High School (Westport, CT)
- Toms River High School North (Toms River, NJ)
- Wayland High School (Wayland, MA)
- West Boca Raton Community High School (West Boca, FL)
- Alexander Dawson School (Lafayette, CO)
- Coral Glades High School, (Coral Springs, FL)
MOSS Club Resources
1. MOSS Club Handbook
2. Design your MOSS shirt here Design MOSS CLUB Tee MakeOurSchoolsSafe (mossmerch.com). Ask a local company to be a sponsor for your club t-shirt. Add their logo to the sleeve.
3. Custom Wristbands | RapidWristbands.com if you buy 100 wristbands they give you 200 free.